Laguna Cerulean

 Laguna Cerulean is glaze #22 of my commercial glaze tests. Cerulean is a beautiful shade of sage green, my tests show a lot of difference between clay bodies but I think that I may have watered it down too much for a couple of the test tiles. The 112 and 181 clays were made years ago, right after I opened the pint. You can see it's a satin finish on those clays. The Ky Mudworks clay tests were more recent and as the glaze had been sitting a while had dried out a bit, so I added water and used a hand mixer to re-blend it. This thinned the glaze, likely leading to the glaze looking translucent on the Ky Mudworks white clays. The red clay has a bit of a thicker coat than on the white clays, I always add a second or two to the dip count for darker clays. It just barely showed color on the red, heavier / more coats would have brought out more satin green. On the dark brown clay, the color is almost non existent, more coats might work on this clay, too. Overall it's a nice glaze, I liked it better before I re-mixed it maybe it will return to that state when some of the water I added evaporates. Fired to cone 5 1/2 on Kentucky Mudworks and Standard (112 and 181) clays.

White Lightning porcelain

Tony Beaver white stoneware

Standard 181 white stoneware

Standard 112 buff stoneware w/specks

Sheltowee red stoneware

Brown Bear dark brown stoneware


Comments